Monday, August 23, 2004

Back home

And now we've all succumbed to some sort of summer cold. Meanwhile, I'm catching up on my reading. I was hoping I'd get back more quickly but probably not since I'm feeling under the weather.

A few quick thoughts:
It took awhile to get used to the jaywalking back East when it's totally illegal in CA.

NY subways: multi-ethnic. Loved it.

The drivers in CT drive dangerously in a different way than in Los Angeles. Tailgating appears to be the norm. But, I admit I'm quite provincial. I remember when drivers in LA took care to let you on the freeways, a long long time ago.

I spent the week marvelling at all the green in the CT suburbs. You don't even have to water the lawns! Trees everywhere! The state is one big forest.

The rapid transit system was fantastic. Can we please have some of that here in LA?

Lots of weather in New England: thunderstorms, lightning, rain. Fun for the first-grader. Not so fun if your flight is delayed 5 hours because Dulles was completely shut down due to thunderstorms.

Okay, back to catching up on my reading.