Thursday, May 06, 2004

Catholic voters and Kerry

I put this up on my dkos diary. I would be the last to say I'm an expert on religion and politics but I saw this LA Times article discussing the Catholic vote. Since I didn't see these numbers out anywhere, I thought I would put these up for those who might be interested. According to the LA Times:
    In two-thirds of the 17 critical battleground states, more people identify themselves as Catholic than any other faith.
I also noticed this nifty breakdown of %Catholic voters in swing states which I copied and rearranged according to percentages.
    N.Mexico 36.9%
    N.Hampshire 34.9%
    Wisconsin 31.6%
    Penn. 31.0%
    Minnesota 25.6%
    Maine 22.2%
    Michigan 20.3%
    Ohio 19.7%
    Iowa 19.1%
    Arizona 19.0%
    Nevada 16.6%
    Florida 16.2%
    Missouri 15.3%
    Washington 12.1%
    Oregon 10.2%
    W.Virginia 5.8%
    Arkansas 4.0%

The Catholic vote in 2000 went as follows:
    Gore 53%
    Bush 46%
    Nader 1%
The analysis in a nutshell: Catholic voters are diverse but Kerry could work harder at wooing the Catholic vote.
    The church's changing demographics, however, offer opportunity for Kerry. Latinos are the fastest-growing sector of the Catholic Church, and only 28% of Latino Catholics voted for Bush in the 2000 election, said White, the professor at Catholic University.

    "The shift in Catholic demographics is clearly important," White said. "Hispanics identify with the Democratic Party in large numbers."

    Dillon, who specializes in religion and Catholicism at the University of New Hampshire, thinks that Kerry's Catholicism remains a plus for him.

    "Whether conservative or liberal, the vast majority of American Catholics are selective with what it means to be Catholic," she said. "Kerry is no different, and he is on the majority side in terms of Catholic opinion in America."
I'm short on analysis. Any thoughts?