Friday, February 04, 2005

Friday chocolate book blogging

I don't usually like to write about books I haven't read but I've really been enjoying reading the PR spin out on this new book on chocolate, Chocolate: A Bittersweet Saga of Dark and Light by Mort Rosenblum.

This week, LAT (*&%$#@ registration required and story to be locked behind doors forever in a week) ran a delightfully fun interview with the author.

Here, I'm parsing out the really important bits of trivia to keep for future chocolate adventures:

*Rosenblum thinks Valrhona makes the best chocolate in the world.

*Best in the US: Recchiuti confections in SF

*The absolutely best chocolate confection maker in the world, in his opinion:
He reaches into the backpack he's carrying and hands me a 3-inch-by-3-inch gray box bearing the words "Jacques Genin" and "Paris."

"If I could take only one chocolate to a desert island, it would be his," he says. "He doesn't even have a real shop, just a small lab on the Rue Saint-Charles." He pauses. "Of course, he uses Valrhona."
Much more in the article, if you can get to it in time.