Thursday, August 26, 2004

Celebrating the passage of the 19th Amendment

Be sure to check out eRobin's post on Equality Day.
Women endured beatings, being placed in stress positions, forced feedings, unlawful imprisonment and, I'm sure, untold tortures (sound familiar?) so that I can vote. Less famous suffragettes endured public and personal humiliation because they supported an unpopular cause, which was my right to have a say in how this country should be run. They are heroes, no less so than any service person from any war, or any politician immortalized in marble.
Like eRobin, I was under the mistaken opinion the movement consisted largely of sash-wearing wealthy women protesting in parades. Not so. I was horrified to find out how much these early suffragettes suffered so that we can vote.