Saturday, November 18, 2006

Any truth creates a scandal

"...any truth creates a scandal".
from a letter written by Hadrian, a Roman emperor.

This quote is from the fictional account, Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar. Oh, what a difficult book to read but only because I'm finding myself taking time to reread paragraphs, sentences, phrases.

I've come to a personal conclusion that the greater the resistance to birthing a truth, the more painful are the emotions attached to it. This also happens to be a comment about my life these days.

But don't you think this works at the national level as well, that the entrenched forces in power, Republican, Democratic, the media as well, will necessarily find that truth creates scandal, as it does in dysfunctional family and community systems.

Turning to the impeachment dialogue which I hope doesn't die an early death, I mirror what seems to make the most sense to me: we must honor the process of uncovering the truth. This process will create a scandal, an absolutely expected outcome, as reflected by Hadrian.