Tuesday, December 20, 2005

So, guess what, I was a walking medical timebomb

I'm one of those people who works hard at avoiding those routine MD visits. Somewhere along the way, I got up the courage to see my gyno. There I found out why I don't like these routine visits.

But, honestly, now I feel gifted with finding out about my holy-batsh*t blood pressure reading in the extreme red zone.

That was my little adventure lately: I am so grateful the high drama part has ended, and I'm not writing this to you as a stroke, heart-attack or kidney failure patient yet.

I am kiss-the-ground grateful to have good insurance (that has been a sometime thing these past few years) and good timing. I was surprised: except for the lack of sleep and exercise, I lead a dull life. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs except for the stuff coming out of coffee shops. I haven't even blogged lately. But my stress levels lately have been inordinately high with extracurricular activities extremely jarring to my nature.

I find out if I caught this earlier, it would be much easier to turn it around with those boring nonmedical interventions: diet, exercise, life in moderation stuff.

I'm still in the 'trying to figure out what this all means' stage. So far my bottom line is this: I want to see my child grow up, go to college, have a family if that be the choice. I will do whatever it takes to get my blood pressure down and out of sight.

In the meantime, I'm over here, way behind on holiday madness, but trying on my new low-sodium lots of veggies diet, doing progressive muscle relaxation to destress and trying to meditate nightly. And did I tell you: I love my blood pressure medication. Beats being on dialysis or working with an OT for stroke rehab.

High blood pressure info
More on hypertension