Saturday, December 04, 2004

Tell me more about that neocon connection

I'm circling back to Matt Taibbi's last rant about the DLC.

One nagging detail that I keep coming back to:
Marshall also signed, at the outset of the war, a letter issued by the Project for the New American Century (PNAC) expressing support for the invasion. Marshall signed a similar letter sent to President Bush put out by the conservative Social Democrats/USA group on Feb. 25, 2003, just before the invasion. The SD/USA letter urged Bush to commit to "maintaining substantial U.S. military forces in Iraq for as long as may be required to ensure a stable, representative regime is in place and functioning."

One of just a handful of Marshall's co-signatories on that letter was Bruce Jackson, who also happens to be the head of the PNAC (whose letter Marshall also signed) and the founder of the aforementioned Committee for the Liberation of Iraq. Jackson is not only a neo-con of high rank and one of the chief pom-pom wavers for the war effort. He was also a vice president in the weapons division of Lockheed-Martin between 1993 and 2002 – meaning that he was one of the implied targets of "Bowling for Columbine," which came out in Jackson's last year with the company.
I don't know much about Marshall, the president of the PPI, the DLC think tank, but he sounds like he's pals with the neocons if he's signing PNAC letters. This is the first I've heard of it, aside from something I glanced at on a Lyndon LaRouche flyer that I threw out right away. I sure would like to know more about this association.

And here I was, upset about how the DLC supports rightwing conservative think tank policy, especially education policy.