Friday, October 15, 2004

Friday chocolate blogging

NYT Magazine checks out a new product Mars is developing: high-flavanol cocoa. Supposed to be good for you but they don't get it: it doesn't matter if it's good for you. If it's good chocolate, I'll eat it. No problem.

And for post-debate splurging, here's my favorite chocolate ganache recipe, from Wolfgang Puck's Modern French Cooking. I saw it in the LAT once a long time ago; can't find it any more on their site but here it is. I love it because it's so freaking simple and yet it's quality stuff.

3/4 pound semisweet chocolate, cut in small bits
1 cup heavy cream or creme fraiche

1. Place chocolate in a bowl.
2. Boil cream and pour over chocolate.
3. Let sit for 3 minutes.
4. Blend with whisk until smooth and shiny.

Cool and use as needed.

The LAT article suggests using it for a fondue, as a syrup over ice cream, cake filling. When I've taken this to parties, I've had people parking themselves in front of the bowl, body blocking others while spooning chocolate into their mouths as fast as possible. It's wicked stuff.

Update: CmdrSue does a fine job of going political in her first chocolate blogging foray.