Sunday, July 20, 2003

I attended the public memorial service at the Santa Monica's Farmers Market Saturday. I was glad to see that most of the Saturday vendors were back and that the market seemed busier than usual. In particular, I liked what the rabbi said, paraphrasing, that this service was about providing meaning to the lives of the individuals who have passed away. But to me, closure is also about taking the time and space to pray for the recovery of those who were injured and to acknowledge my own sadness about what happened. One blessing in disguise is that I do feel an increased sense of joy and connection when I see an old friend. I wonder why gratitude has to accompany such tragedy.
On a lighter note, as part of the official crisis response team, a specially trained beautiful black Lab called Mojo provided needed therapy to the crowd. What a novel idea! Here is the link.