Monday, June 21, 2004

A belated summer solstice salutation

...and a happy Father's day for all the dads and dads-to-be out there.

I still think winter solstice is my favorite day of the year. Summer solstice is the beginning of the end: the days get shorter from now on.

I thought I might post my very own buttermilk pancake recipe for Father's Day but I forgot to plan ahead.

Here it is anyway.
    Buttermilk pancakes

    2 cups flour, all-purpose (sifted)
    3 tablespoons ultra-fine sugar(regular will do)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt (regular will do)

    2 cups buttermilk
    1 large egg
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract

    Melt butter. Set aside to cool.
    Mix together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt.

    Mix wet indredients: buttermilk, egg, butter, vanilla extract.

    Add wet to the dry ingredients. Mix until it's just barely combined. A few lumps are okay.

    Cook on skillet coated with a bit of vegetable cooking oil.

    Enjoy with maple syrup and butter.

    Makes enough for three adults.